WE Communications, one of the world’s largest independent integrated communications agencies, is looking for driven professionals to join our highly successful office in Johannesburg. With an office in Illovo, we are keen to bolster our ranks with an Account Manager to join us and work on our largest Technology client(s).
Our South Africa office is one of 18 across the globe, and it’s expanding rapidly. We work across time zones and continents. Our clients are innovative and so is our work – and importantly, our employees come first. We are currently looking for a first-class PR/Comms operator to become an integral part of our award-winning team, working on our largest and most established technology brand; providing insightful client counsel, a deep understanding of the technology sector and passion for business writing. You are required to have a can-do attitude, a willingness to learn, contribute and have a voice in our super-collaborative team. We also require you to have solid agency experience to date, whilst mastering the ability to manage both up and down – ensuring you develop, as well as your direct reports.
This a great opportunity for an ambitious AM to join our super-collaborative team and help us drive full integration across our client portfolio, allowing you to become an integral part on a number of clients. You will also have a solid understanding of how best to optimise both traditional and digital communication in order to deliver excellent integrated strategies.
Key strengths within this role should include content creation, event planning and organization, South Africa media relations, a passion for technology, international coordination and the ability to think multi-channel/multi-platform at all times. You will join a very talented and committed team, working on a great mix of instantly recognisable technology brand(s), and significant attention will be given to your career growth and development.
- Expert client management, with the ability to work both PR and marketing clients
- Media strategy and campaign development experience
- Strong media relationships and understanding of the UK national, business and technology media landscape
- Ability to lead a team, working with colleagues across time zones
Key Attributes of the Candidate:
- Confident, entrepreneurial, self-starter: able to identify and seize opportunities and build trust with key internal and external stakeholders
- Has a track record of successful business development with both new and existing clients
- Has strong and persuasive communication skills
- Is a creative, flexible problem solver
- Has desire to work as one team and share knowledge
- Can identify and correct weaknesses
- Will create an atmosphere of mutual respect, support and trust.
- Has a track record in being able to educate, persuade/influence international stakeholders (both internal and external)
- Is widely and deeply connected: Has a proven ability to develop strong senior media relationships and comprehensive understanding of the media and new media environments
- Has relationships with, and a clear understanding of key stakeholder groups and how relevant groups interface with one another
Personal Management and Style:
- Is committed to delivering and exceeding expectations
- Is able to manage ambiguity and be pragmatic
- Shows patience and tenacity
- Drives efficiency and best practice
- Innovates and has the ability to deliver change
- Is flexible and responsive to changing priorities
- Develops and creates strong teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, English or related field is preferred, or the equivalent knowledge and/or experience
- 4-5 + years of experience in integrated communications or PR, preferably in an agency setting and/or within an applicable industry; 3 + years of management experience required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with corporate image, issues/crisis management and strategic communications across multiple audience segments.
- Exceptional media relations background with demonstrated capacity of working with global business and policy press to manage story development.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (particularly Outlook, Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint and Excel)
- High level of analysis and strategic recommendations based on industry knowledge
- High level of initiative; take accountability for role on projects
- Demonstrated creative and strategic mindset
- Has established editor and/or analyst relationships and has proactively placed stories
- Made presentations to groups of all sizes; pitched new business
- Client and business environment: Customer service orientation is a must. Job pressure may exist from requirement of handling multiple tasks
- Experience working globally or with colleagues in multiple locations
- Fast-paced team environment (frequent tight deadlines, multitasking, etc.)
- Strong presentation and consulting skills along with the ability to read, write and speak English
- May need to work more than 40 hours per week on occasion
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.